Sunday, May 14, 2006

Ilocanization

This will be my "going back to my roots" week... I'm not sure if that's the right thing to say though since I was born and raised in Manila and don't know much of anything that makes me Ilocano except for my father being Ilocano and my skin. I have the dark Ilocano skin.

Well, it's time to find out.

I'm trying to learn how to speak Ilocano. At some point, I knew how to speak Ilocano when I was probably, seven, eight years old. It slipped away too easily since Papa refuses to speak to me in Ilocano. I guess I'm realizing how important it is to have these kind of things in your backpack when travelling. It comes in so much handy. I know I asked him several times before. I can't remember when exactly and I don't remember how he responded. I think he's just too lazy. There's something about him that doesn't want to go back home. Not go back. Go back. But really go back.

Everyone is speaking in Ilocano in front of me now and I don't understand a damn thing. I'm inclined to going back to my book and reading English instead. Yeah, I know...the only way to learn a language is first by listening (like any language...) I'm finding that my innate impatience is making this a bit difficult.


I'll be back in Manila soon and I still don't have any idea what I will be exhibiting on June. Shit! Oh well, wanna finish my book first and make sure Mamang is okay. Then I'll think about other things.

MartOne Mall
Satiago City, Isabela

1 comment:

aza said...

ilocano 101

ay ayaten ka- mahal kita
napintas ka- maganda ka
apay?- bakit?
diak kay-yat- ayoko
naggalas ka- ang pangit mo
maykan- halika na
maysa...duwwa..tallo...uppat...1234
maymaysam-nag-iisa ka?
ada dittoy- andito
nabangsit- ambaho!
makan?- nakakain?
mangan kan- kain ka na
kwarta-pera
sabong- bulaklak
napigsa- malakas
awannen-wala na
naragsak nga lubong!- mundong maligaya